The first stage of the Reform Programme will be completed by August 2016 and will result in a report with policy recommendations to include:
- what levels of Functional Skills are needed for life and work;
- the breadth of skills that the new qualifications should include;
- the number of guided learning hours needed to successfully achieve Functional Skills for learners on technical and professional programmes of study, including apprenticeships.
The project will also lead to an updated set of National Adult Literacy and Numeracy Standards.
The main methods by which it is doing this include:
- Online surveys for employers and stakeholders/practitioners
- In-depth telephone interviews
- Events and meetings